HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Belle, our 3-year-old labradoodle, is ready for Halloween. I did buy a huge bowl of candy, but just realized half of the candy is missing! I made the mistake of opening the bags. One piece then led to another….and another…..and another. Wonder who ate the candy…….? I will be making a quick trip to the store again for candy. And this time, I am going to hide it from my family.
Halloween can be fun for kids, but it also a time when you should have a safety talk- especially if this is your child’s first time trick-or-treating. I have listed a few websites with safety tips for kids and pets. We have a sweet, but very naughty dog who loves to get into things. Remember to keep candy out of your pet’s reach. Chocolate can be toxic to pets. Recently, I left a plate with my son’s lunch on the counter. Way out of Belle’s reach. She must have superpowers because the plate was on the ground when I walked into the kitchen. She ate everything- a healthy carrot remained! She was hiding under our dining room table. Looking VERY guilty!
A few SAFETY SUGGESTIONS I liked from the websites:
Try adding reflective tape to costumes and candy bags. This will help you to keep track of your children, especially when they get into a group with other kids. Additionally, it will allow drivers to see your children when they cross the street.
For pets- remember outfits can get twisted on external objects on your pet, leading to injury. I learned this lesson last year. Belle was wearing a shirt that became caught on my fireplace screen. She panicked, dragging the heavy, metal screen with her. If she wears any clothing, it is only for a few minutes now.
Spooked pets can get lost. Belle will be spending time in her crate during trick-or-treating. She acts crazy every time someone knocks on the door. I don’t want our night to end up with our family searching the area for our lost dog.